Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Dear Chocolate


Dear Chocolate,

I always think of you on cloudy days. I seek you out when I am feeling low, looking for comfort, a sugar high, a satisfaction only you can provide.

Such a little dab of you can please me--just a touch, melting on my tongue--even a chocolate chip will do in a pinch. Sometimes you bring peanut butter or strawberry with you and the occasional menage a trois is exciting, but you can thrill me all by yourself. (Of course, bring raspberry with you anytime).

What draws me to you? Is it your wisdom or worldliness? After being around for over 2000 years, you certainly know what gets a gal going. Yet you are so humble, so attainable. I can meet you at the fanciest of restaurants, the most expensive chocolatiers, but you are just as comfortable at the local ice cream parlor or supermarket shelf.

Sometimes you are so beautiful I almost can't eat you...almost. When you show up dressed as brownie or cupcake, you are most difficult to resist. Milk chocolate was my childhood puppy love, but now I want you dark and mysterious--maybe with a little cinnamon or spice. Those Mayans were onto something.

I can only assume you love me too. After all, you lower my blood pressure, you lift me up with serotonin, fill me with antioxidants. You lower my cholesterol, and nobody else stimulates my endorphins like you.

You are faithful enough to visit every holiday: chocolate bunnies at Easter, mini bars at Halloween, chocolate covered cherries at Christmas and exotic truffles at Valentines. You keep me warm in a mug on chilly days and never miss a birthday. When you show up as cacao beans in my oatmeal or mole sauce on my enchilada, I am mesmerized by your versatility. My newest love--your appearance in Ben & Jerry's Oatmeal Cookie Crunch--truly chilly nirvana.

I loved you then. I love you now. I will love you always. Never change dear Chocolate, you are perfection.

No comments: